The Clinton Historical Society currently has a display of products, collectibles and other items from Clinton businesses of the past. Included in the display are advertising materials, pictures of the businesses and their actual products. Some of the businesses represented are the Split Rock Mineral Spring, the Clinton Metallic Paint
The Clinton Historical Society heard the story of early C on Sunday, September 13, 2015. Shown here is presenter Russell Oechsle of Homer, New York standing next to one of the clock faces of a clock Barns made in Clinton. Barns worked and lived in Cooperstown prior to coming to Clinton in
The tower at the Clinton Historical Society, 1 Fountain Street, Clinton, was recently repaired and restored by local restoration expert, Dwight Dibble. Dibble replaced clapboards and sealed and painted the tower, working at a height of 40 feet. The restoration was made possible by the Hamilton College Town Gown Fund.
Hamilton College Joins National Park Service Observance of 150th Anniversary of Civil War’s End “Bells across the Land” Program Scheduled April 9
Clinton, N.Y. – In accordance with the National Park Service’s call to ring “Bells across the Land: A Nation Remembers Appomattox,” http://www.nps.gov/cebe/learn/news/join-the-national-park-service-in-ringing-bells-across-the-land-a-nation-remembers-appomattox.htm the Hamilton College Chapel bell will ring for four minutes at 3:15 p.m. on Thursday, April 9, to mark the four years of war that ended 150 years ago at Appomattox. One
Today our travel mode mainly is by the privately owned car or truck. We take for granted paved roads with safety stripes, shoulders, good maintenance and periodic resurfacing. Back in 1826 things differed for all travelers as the roads weren’t more than wagon trails barely sufficient for an ox team.
Can anyone take a look backwards to 1852 and visualize what Clinton looked like, what buildings and homes were standing, what business ventures prospered or failed, or what citizens did for fun and entertainment in the middle of the 19th century? Let’s turn the clock back now to the less
Almost to Chuckery on the north side of Kellogg Street is the next abandoned cemetery in our series: the Kellogg/Chuckery Cemetery. Early settlers in that eastern area of the town were buried there from such local families as Comstock, Kellogg, and Marshall. The Kirkland Highway Department takes good care of
Ask them about where their parents, or grandparents are buried. Ask if any of your relatives have previously done any genealogy research. Find out who are your oldest living relatives, visit them and record your conversation with them. Send for copies of birth certificates on individuals. Send for copies of
The property was described as 50 yards south of the “State Highway” and triangular in shape; “the base is about 60 feet wide toward the road, south to its point, possibly 250 feet.” There were 25-30 gravestones in the early 1920s. The oldest was Mrs. Rachel Laird, who died September
Slaves Rescued in Utica Prior to the Civil War fugitive slave laws sought to capture runaway slaves from the south and return them to their owners. The famous “Jerry” rescue in Syracuse occurred in 1851, but Utica had a similar rescue in December 1836. “When two Negro men were claimed